Welcome to My World

Regardless of where we are, life comes at us. If we want to cherish the moments, they tend to pass us by faster than we can savor them. If we would rather skip a day, it seems to linger endlessly. But life is what it is, and we have to make the most of what we have and focus on the good aspects, large or small, to truly relish our life.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Sprains, Trains, and Letting Go of the Wheel

Yesterday morning I was so excited, yet anxious.  I had gotten the kids ready and off to school and was in the middle of moving things around to get our upstairs carpet replaced when the phone rang.  The installers were letting me know that their team was not going to be able to come in.  Could I please put it off until Thursday?

Sigh.  Let down, yet seemingly a blessing.  There were still a few things to get in order, so a couple of days shouldn't be that big of an issue.  Of course, it meant moving some things back into the kids' rooms for the time being, but it gave me more time to take care of the gazillion little things lying around.

Well, yes, I was able to get more things boxed away, but then I ran into a little snag. I was in the parking lot with my girls, leaving an American Heritage Girls meeting when I stepped into a pot hole.  I heard a POP and my ankle was on fire.  I knew there was no question that I had just sprained it. 

My mind was flooded with questions.  How in the world was I going to drive them home?  How was I going to get the rest of the way to my car?  How was I going to move everything out of the way for the carpet installers?  Breathe.  Forget that, how was I going to stay completely calm in front of my daughters when I couldn't think straight for the throbbing on my right side?

As always, God provided.  I certainly cried out to him enough times, quietly.  Oh, and anyone who knows me realizes that the quieter I am when I get hurt equates to how much it does hurt.  Poor Nyssa said she wished she were old enough to drive.  So did I.  But I did ask God to help us get home.  I had to drive with my left foot as there was nothing doing with my right.

Thankfully, we only live about 2 miles from where the meeting took place.  It was 8 o'clock at night, so the roads were quiet with absolutely no traffic whatsoever behind me the entire way and only a few cars on the other side of the street that passed me.  The whole trip home, I was thanking God for the perfect driving conditions, for the lack of drivers on the road, for the lights, for the spacing between cars that allowed me to turn.   I told the girls that we are to give thanks in every situation, because that is God's will for our lives, even if it doesn't seem to have anything worth thanking Him for.  But if we concentrate and think about the things He is providing right then and there, then we are taking our eyes off of the pain of the moment. 

We finally got home, after Nyssa laughingly told me that my breathing sometimes sounded like Darth Vader.  I told her it sounded like that just before she was born, too!  My poor husband had to help me in the house and then we waited for my mom to come take me to the ER while Richard put the kids to bed.

The x-rays confirmed my suspicions.  It was only a sprain and not a break, but I'm not supposed to put any weight on it for a few days.  The doctor handed me a narcotic to dull the pain and sent me home with crutches and an air cast.  Sigh.  No weight.

How in the world am I going to get those boxes and drawers out of the kids' rooms, the mattresses off the bed, and the rest of the odds and ends out of the way?  This was the worst timing ever!  If only the installation crew had come when they were supposed to, we wouldn't be having this trouble right now!  All sorts of negative thoughts swam around in my brain fraught with worry about the current circumstances.  Then, something happened.

God reminded me He is in control.  He brought my mind back to what I had been telling the girls on the trip home.  He gently nudged me and let me know that He did, indeed know what was going on in my life, knew already that it would happen, and that He had a plan.  What it was didn't matter.  What did matter was that I trust Him and rest in the knowledge that He was going to take care of me.  All of a sudden, when I looked to him and not to the situation, I was at peace and perfectly fine with what would be. 

How did it turn out?  Well, I started writing again, for one thing.  I've been trying to get back in the groove for quite some time but could never quite get the time to sit down and do it.  Well, sitting's not going to be a problem for a bit.  As for the whole moving issue and the carpet?  Ask me again tomorrow night, because I haven't completely crossed that bridge yet.  But the wonderful thing is that I don't have to cross it alone and that the bridge I am walking on is a solid rock.  God specializes in making a way when there seems to be none.  He is letting me lean on Him so I don't have to bear all the weight on my own.  It's His burden now, and His burden is light.  Whew, thank You, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here :D